General Household Summer Cooling Tips
Did you know that over 50% of annual energy costs come from a home’s heating and cooling system? The following energy efficiency tips could save you a significant amount on your summer cooling bills.
Energy Saving Tips:
- Setting your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher can save you money. Keep in mind that a single degree of change on your thermostat can increase or decrease your energy use by 3 percent to 5 percent.
- Use ceiling fans or portable fans in addition to your air conditioning system to aid in the cooling effect. Be sure to turn off fans when no one is in the room.
- Keep windows, drapes and blinds closed during the hottest times of the day — generally noon to 5pm.
- Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans to reduce the amount of hot or moist air circulating in the house.
- Programmable thermostats can save you money when you are away from home at work.
- Clean or replace air filters as recommended by manufacturers once a month or as needed.
- Make sure all your ductwork is tightly sealed and there are no leaks.
- Have your heat pump coils cleaned by a professional to ensure the system is operating at peak performance. Call us at 919.367.0102 for details.
- An annual maintenance contract with Apex Heating and Air can extend the life of your system significantly and ensure your system is ready for the summer heat.
Call us at 919.367.0102 or contact us using our website form.