Keeping with its long history of leading environmental responsibility, Carrier has once again taken a leadership role in offering the refrigerant of the future.
As a leader in the HVAC industry, Carrier has been working towards a more GWP-friendly refrigerant for over 10 years. That’s when we first anticipated growing concerns over global warming potential of refrigerants. Now, after years of research, development and with products currently in field trials, we anticipate being ready to start the transition to Puron Advance in early 2024. Thank you for your continued confidence in Carrier products. We look forward to working with you in making the transition to Puron Advance as smooth as possible!
1) Carrier is focused on providing a refrigerant that offers a higher efficiency and the lowest GWP that will positively impact people, our planet, and our communities.
- Carrier Corporation has set an ambitious goal to help our customers avoid more than one gigaton of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from their carbon footprint by 2030 by leveraging our energy-efficient products, using lower global warming potential (GWP) refrigerants and more.
- With its GWP of 466, Puron Advance was selected as the best refrigerant solution for ducted and ductless residential and light commercial products to minimize environmental impact and energy use, while providing performance, safety, and durability.
- Carrier Corporation’s ducted and ductless residential and light commercial products switching to Puron Advance is like avoiding the greenhouse gas emissions from over 5 million gas powered passenger vehicles each year.* That’s a big impact!
2) Carrier is easing fears of dealers, technicians, and homeowners through robust training resources and product enhancements.
- Switching to Puron Advance will be a relatively easy transition for technicians because it operates at temperatures and pressures like those of our current refrigerant, Puron.
- Carrier technicians and installers have access to thorough training so they can be certified in knowing how to properly install, maintain, and reclaim the Puron Advance.
- Puron Advance falls under the classification of A2L by ASHRAE. A2L refrigerants have lower toxicity and lower flammability than A2 refrigerants. While A2Ls are more flammable than A1s, such as R-410A, they are still much less flammable than natural gas or propane and even things like rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover like you may already have in your home.
- Carrier is committed to safety and will, therefore, include a dissipation system in all products containing Puron Advance. Technicians and homeowners alike can be confident that the required safety measures have been built into our system designs.
3) Carrier goes beyond the regulatory minimums and thinks about long-term innovations and solutions.
- As a leader in the HVAC industry, we have been working towards creating a more GWP-friendly refrigerant since before 2010. Puron Advance will deliver comfort, efficiency and a dramatically reduced GWP of 466 to meet regulations expected to take effect in 2025.
- With the EPA’s decision to require GWP’s to be at or below 700 by January 1, 2025, our choice of Puron Advance, with a GWP of 466, will be able to meet and exceed this requirement. Puron Advance represents a 75% reduction in GWP compared to Puron.
*Assuming Carrier Corporation residential, DLS and light commercial units shipped with refrigerant annually. https://www.epa.gov/energy/greenhousegas-equivalencies-calculator